No matter what type of device you have, before you can begin fully enjoying the features of Alexa and the “Internet of things,” you’re going to need to download, install, and setup Alexa app. While it’s not terribly difficult, it can be a little confusing and frustrating the first time through, so today we thought we’d give you a quick guide on how to set up the Alexa app.
In order to download the Alexa app, you’ll need one of the following devices:
- Android 5.1 or higher
- iOS 11.0 or higher
- Fire OS 5.3.3 or higher
- Windows/OS X desktop browsers (*note* – all features may not be available on desktop versions)
On your mobile device, navigate to the appropriate app store and type “Amazon Alexa” into the search area. Select the app created by “Amazon Mobile LLC” or “AMZN Mobile LLC” and hit the Install/Get button.
This will both download and install the Alexa app to your mobile device and you can simply launch it from there.
For desktop downloads you’ll need to navigate to https://alexa.amazon.com. From there you can select your favorite Alexa enabled device, from Echo to Echo Plus, Echo Connect, Echo Dot Kids Edition, and every Alexa device in-between.
Setup Your Alexa App
Your new device is about to open your world to a whole universe of new experiences and possibilities. Now that you have downloaded and installed the Alexa app, the next critical step is to get it setup.
Of course, it’s a pretty good idea to have at least a basic understanding of the home screen and features first, so you may want to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the following icons on the bottom of the Home Screen:
- Home — Lets you scroll to see descriptions of your recent Alexa interactions.
- Alexa — Lets you speak to Alexa in order to complete tasks or utilize Alexa supported devices and features through the app.
- Communication — Lets you manage your Alexa Calling and Messaging conversations.
- Devices — Lets you view, add, and remove your various Alexa-enabled devices.
- Music & Books — Lets you utilize your favorite music and print media.
For setup of your Alexa app, you’ll want to access the Devices icon described above as well as the Menu icon in the upper corner in order to manage the features and settings of your newly installed Alexa app.
Click the Menu icon for:
- Music & Books — Lets you see the various media and services that you can use with your added devices.
- Lists — Lets you manage your various Shopping and To-do lists.
- Reminders & Alarms — Lets you manage timers and alarms.
- Routines — A really cool feature that lets you setup a single voice command that completes a series of actions to complete from.
- Skills & Games — Lets you add various voice-driven capabilities to your Alexa device.
- Things to Try — Gives a list of example phrases you can use with your Alexa app.
- Help & Feedback — Contact customer service, submit feedback, or search for help topics.
That’s how simple it is when it comes to how to setup your Alexa app.
However, if there’s a hitch in the giddy-up of your Alexa app setup and you need some help, don’t hesitate to call us at +1 (833)-365-6500. We can help you download and install the Alexa app or assist in troubleshooting ANY Alexa-enabled device. We’re here for you.